What steps should I take to change careers?
Follow your dreams and the money will follow, is common if not accurate advice.
Here are five issues for you to consider:
- Is your dream monetizable? Can you earn enough money to support yourself?
- If your dream is to start a business, ask yourself: has the concept been proven? If not, how long will it take, how much will it cost?
- Will this new career – or job – require any licensure (professional or municipal), certifications, or special education?
- Will relocation be required?
- How long will it take to transition? Do you have sufficient cash on hand to support yourself during the transition?
Change can be exciting but be mindful of the critical questions.