Here are the five questions I typically ask when recruiting references for a job search.
- I am re-entering the job market. (Explain the job you are pursuing or provide a brief positive explanation of why you are making the change.) Would you be comfortable serving as s reference?
- I want this to be a learning experience and a chance to advance my career. Would you mind sharing your assessment with me? What are my strengths? My weaknesses?
- What value did I bring to the organization? What was my most significant success?
- What was my most significant setback? What do you think I should have done differently?
- What qualities do I need to focus on to improve as a leader?
Listen closely takes notes. The information each reference shares will help you prepare for the job interviews ahead.